Monday, October 11, 2010

Homespun Magazine Secret New Quilt Project for 2011

I am just coming back out into the light after completing a new secret quilt project for Homespun Magazine.

As usual I started at a leisurely pace only to find myself racing towards the publishing deadline at a fast and furious sprint. The lovely Catherine from Homespun magazine commissioned me for the project which was to include 18 small embroideries and a centre panel.

When I discovered a new pretty floral range from Moda which included happy Polk Dots I couldn't wait to begin.Before long the fat quarter bundle arrived at my door. It was so wonderful to look at that I just sat it on my old kitchen dresser to admire for a week. I proudly shared it with some of my sewing friends who called in for a cuppa during the week. They too "gooed and garred" over it which made me feel far more normal.

In hindsight to leave it sitting for a whole week just looking at it was probably not the most sensible idea, although I like to think that each time I passed it my vision for the quilt became clearer in my mind. Here is the patchwork fabric stack arranged in all its glory.



Next it was time to choose embroidery threads, another part of the design process I enjoy.



Soon embroidery blocks started to appear as did sketches of the overall layout. Although I confess I totally underestimated the brain power that was needed to design the quilt based on fat quarters. And I have to admit that the layout was redrawn a number of times before the maths stacked up (thank goodness for calculators)

I even employed Miss 10 to unpick a few seams sewn in error. Yes I make lots of mistakes too!

Despite my mishaps eventually the quilt started to take shape and I was able to catch a glimpse of the finishing line.



With less than one week to go and visitors from interstate begging to explore Tasmania, I made the brave decision to hand quilt. This meant a daily routine of sight seeing during the day, gourmet cooking of an evening and hand quilting late into the night.


With cotton threads sprinkled around my home, piles of fabric offcuts surrounding my workspace and coffee mugs lined up beside my sewing machine I wondered if other designers worked in such chaos. I even had chocolate wrappers jammed in my sewing bin, a timely and much appreciated birthday present from master 14.

As I wrapped the quilt and addressed it to the lovely Catherine of Homespun Magazine I glanced at the clock. I had made it and with 3 hours to spare...what was I so worried about???!!!

14 comments:

crafty pug said...

wow - this looks amazing! can't wait to see the project in homespun!
xx

Jodi said...

That one's going to be a doozie! Can't wait to see the whole thing!

Unknown said...

Sandy Beach says,This looks great and exciting, what wonderful sewing and fabric.

Wendyb said...

the sneakies look just beautiful.....this is one I'll be watching out for in Homespun next year!!!
sugary hugs
Wendyb:O)

Sas said...

You know, this is kinda cool, having a sneak peek, but it is also kinda cruel to make us wait...lol...
Looks precious will be looking out for it for sure.
Hugs Sas.

Deborah M. said...

Beautiful. I can't wait.

yorkie's primitives said...

I can't wait to see the finished quilt! What you showed is awesome, Valerie

Carrie P. said...

Congratulations! It looks like it is going to be lovely. And now I can get the magazine at my local Barnes and Noble bookstore. I will be on the lookout for it.

Quiltin' Sandy said...

Hi Lenna, I can't wait to get my hands on that magazine. What you have shown looks really lovely!
That little bird is so cute, too. :-)

StarQuilt said...

It looks beautyfull. All your things does.

Tammy said...

It's gorgeous! You always inspire me to grab my fabric and floss and start stitching!!! Love it!

Elly D said...

OH WOW!!! I am looking forward to this! :) From your teaser pictures I can see it will be beautiful :) I am so happy I have a subscription to Homespun :-D

Valerie said...

Hi Lenna, thanks for giving us such a great glimpse into your adorable project:)
Valerie
Http://www.PastimesOnline.ca

Sherry said...

I love the project already with just the glimpse you let us see. The fabric and thread you used are so pretty. Thanks for sharing.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails