Wednesday, September 30, 2009

Tacking or Basting a Quilt

Tacking or Basting a quilt is an exciting step because it means your quilt is almost finished.
I'm very excited to let you know that my new nursery rhyme block of the month quilt was at this stage a few weeks ago.

Here it is on my worktable as I was hand tacking it in preparation for hand quilting. I always start down on the floor but it is agony on my knees (I have floor boards!!!), so once I get a few lines of tacking in place I put it up higher.

 

 

Speaking of tacking out a quilt for hand quilting, I thought I would share a few  tips with you.

If you have tacked out a quilt before you will understand that after a while your fingers become very sore from picking up the needle. A tip to avoid this is to use a teaspoon (yes you heard me right). When your needle comes up from the back place the teaspoon underneath and you will find that it is much easier to pick up. Because the pressure is on the spoon and not your fingers it takes all the discomfort out of it. 

Although use an old teaspoon rather than one out of you best cutlery set because it can get scratched from the needle.


Another tip is to use a contrasting thread that is easy to see. This will make pulling out the tacking much easier at another stage. I also work from the centre out and always knot off into the border of the batting rather than the quilt top. Working a row close to the outside edge is another tip which will ensure that your binding goes on without a single pucker.


Hope you have found these tips for tacking or basting a quilt useful.
Warmly Lenna

6 comments:

Carrie P. said...

Congratulations on getting the quilt top done. That is awesome.

Anonymous said...

Love your quilt. I use quilt basting spray, I know a lot of the die hard quilters don't like it but it makes life so much easier. Donna B.

Anonymous said...

Lenna it is beautiful.You will soon be able to read her nursery rhymes and show her your work that corresponds to each rhyme.Anne

Robin said...

Your quilt is darling

Ingrid said...

It's beautiful. Congratulations.

Susan In Texas said...

I'll go on the record as saying that quilt basting spray is definitely the way to go. I just love it! I use the June Tailor brand and it works perfectly. The quilt stays perfectly flat over the entire surface area, which pins and basting thread are never able to accomplish. Just spray in a well-ventilated room and you're all set, only takes about 15 minutes per quilt with a long-armed helper like my husband. 8-)

Happy quilting,
Susan

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails