Monday, July 4, 2011

New Christmas in Italy Quilt 2

Our trip to Italy involved a house swap and we were blessed to exchange with a lovely family from Milano who also owned a villa at Como Lake. Nestled at the base of the Swiss Alps, Como lake was one of the most beautiful places I had ever seen. Normally bustling with tourists in Summer, Como Lake in the middle of winter was tranquil and at rest. The little village at the top of the lake where we stayed seemed asleep and hardly stirred as we explored its surroundings.

On one of our walks we discovered a small collection of old, stone houses on the side of a hill. They looked over the snow covered mountains and I pondered their history.


It's no wonder that as my Christmas in Italy Quilt evolved, these stone villas and rolling hills appeared. I found the perfect range of fabric for the look I was after.


My other delightful discovery whilst at the villa in Como Lake was in our back yard. The first morning we woke to snow falling from the heavens and as I drew back the curtains in the kitchen there was the most amazing tree laden with wonderful, orange persimmons.

So into the quilt it had to go as well as some of the balcony hanging gardens!


And then of course there were all the churches...but that's another story!
Warmly Lenna



4 comments:

Brandie said...

I am loving this quilt! Thank you for sharing your wonderful Christmas memories.

Roseanne said...

O it is so nice love what you have done it is so much like the photo.

TinaD said...

Hi Lenna,
I just love your new Christmas in Italy Quilt. Really enjoying following the story of your trip to Italy and how the Quilt evolved. Anxiously awaiting the next installment! TinaD

Sherry said...

I am loving your Christmas in Italy quilt! What an excellent job you are doing. Can't wait to see more.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails