Tuesday, September 1, 2009

Block of the Month Quilt - Block 8



Being a keen gardener I had heaps of fun sewing the last block for my new Block of the Month Quilt design.

The nursery rhyme Mary Mary Quite Contrary was always of interest to me as a small child. I remember pouring over the illustrations seeking out the flowers that had been depicted. It amused me that cockle shells were in Mary's garden because I was a country girl who lived far from the sea. I wasn't familiar with shells and the thought of having them in the garden seemed strange. Now living in Tasmania, a small island surrounded by the sea, the idea of using cockle shells as a garden edge doesn't seem nearly so strange.
Although I chose not to include shells in my design I wanted to include Mary and of course a watering can.
I came across some wonderful photos of old watering cans and thought I would share them with you.



Watering Can (orton) by Auntie P.

Watering Can by Editor B.

Canons cans by Silver Doctor.


watering cans by cra612.

Aren't they amazing!
I have an old watering can that I use for my garden which is the one I used for inspiration for my block design.





















And of course there are some flowers with little Yo Yo centres.





















And some embroidered Fox Gloves
















Now it's time to work on the border .

Until next time.
Warmly Lenna

5 comments:

Bevy @ Treasured Up and Pondered said...

You do such gorgeous work. I absolutely cannot wait to see this finished quilt.

BTW. LOVE, LOVE, LOVE old watering cans. It's a shame that they don't make them like they used to and then the reproductions are so chinzy and expensive at the same time.

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Carrie P. said...

Looking good. I don't have any old watering cans but I do have some old metal buckets and boy are they heavy.

Magia da Inês said...

Olá amiga!
Conheci seu cantinho que é tudo de bom!
Lindo, criativo e muito alegre!...
Amei mesmo!!! Parabéns pelo seu trabalho!
Espero você em:
magiadaines.blogspot.com
Um ótimo fim de semana!
Beijinhos carinhosos.
Itabira - Brasil

Karen said...

Excellent watering cans! And, I like what I see of Block 8.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails