Sunday, July 26, 2009

Kids Sewing Ideas from Little Green Cottage

kids sewing
This month Creating Country Threads Magazine has a kids sewing theme which I am very proud to be apart of.




I strongly believe that teaching kids how to sew is very important. It's a skill that they could benefit from for the rest of their lives.

From a very early age each of my three children showed an interest in learning how to sew. This probably had something to do with the fact that their mum was often sewing and hence they wanted to be a part of the action.

At first they were happy just to play with the contents of my ribbon box and then soon progressed to threading buttons onto string and then to sewing around a design that was drawn onto cardboard. Before long they were sewing with felt and then fabric.

For years I enjoyed teaching groups of kids how to sew during school holidays. My classes were always full to over flowing and I enjoyed seeing the delight on their little faces when they creating something special. This lead me to designing some simple kids sewing patterns which can be found on the Stitching Cow website.

When Creating Country Threads contacted to ask if I would like to contribute to their kids sewing special naturally I was thrilled. I designed a simple project suitable for a little girl's bedroom. It incorporates fusible webbing and simple appliqué. My kids always loved sewing on buttons so I decided to add this element into the design as well.

kids sewing



















kids sewing














I also designed a cute angel ideal for hanging on a door knob.

kids sewing



















So if you have a little person in your life who would like to learn how to sew, then you must grab your own copy of Creating Country Threads this month.

kids sewing

















There are some fabulous kids sewing ideas for you to discover.


















Feel free to leave a comment about the types of projects you have enjoyed whilst sewing with kids.

And don't forget to check out the other kids sewing pattern ideas in the kids section of the Stitching Cow website.

Until next time happy stitching!
Warmly Lenna
www.stitchingcow.com

4 comments:

Carrie P. said...

What cute little designs you made for the magazine.

neca84 said...

what a lovely page, what a huge mistake it was me finding your blog, I clicked on a link for a fabulous book in your side panel and ended up spending over $70. hahahaha

thank you so much I cant wait to get my books and see your newest pages

RoseMary said...

I hope I can find the magazine. I have looked for it before and could not find it in any of our local stores. I have a 2 1/2 year old grandson that loves to be with me when I sew or quilt and he has learned how to run the machine. Would love to find this one.

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails